• Creator
    Topic
    Amy Lee
    Keymaster

Please post your questions and comments for the speakers here.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Alyssa

In this session, I learned about the unique challenges and considerations involved in providing dental care to this special population. I gained knowledge on identifying and diagnosing dental issues in children and youth with special health care needs, and how to develop comprehensive treatment plans that accommodate their specific needs. Accommodating special needs while delivering preventive and restorative dental services in a traditional dental office requires a patient-centered approach. I have learned about techniques to manage behavioral challenges, anxiety, and sensory sensitivities that children and youth with special health care needs may experience during dental procedures. Overall, this course has provided me with a comprehensive understanding of the challenges, strategies, and best practices involved in diagnosing and delivering preventive and restorative dental treatment in traditional dental settings for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs. I am equipped with the knowledge and skills to provide compassionate and effective dental care while accommodating the unique needs of this special population, and promoting a positive clinical environment that ensures their comfort and well-being.

Jessica

I learned that there are different ways to support the needs of special needs patients. As providers, we can ask our patients and their caregivers about their special needs, social history, and behavioral history to better accommodate them during their dental visits. We can also provide them with different sensory tools which can help alleviate the sensory overload that some patients face. The presenter made a very good point to promote positive rather than negative reinforcement in order to create a supportive environment for our patients. The valuable information presented will help us to become better and more inclusive providers for our patients.

Ashley

From this session, I learned a lot about ways to accommodate patients with special healthcare needs in a dental office. This session opened my eyes to the fact that caregivers are often under a lot of stress, and so it’s important for dental providers to provide positive reinforcement and encouragement not only to the patients but also to the caregivers. I also learned how it’s important to collect information beforehand from the caregiver about patients’ communication abilities, past dental experiences, reactions to sensory stimuli, any triggers, and the best times of the day for the best cooperation. I learned that it’s good to have special rooms for patients who may easily be overwhelmed from sensory stimuli. Dr. Duong’s presentation was also filled with valuable information about ways to make the dental visit more comfortable for patients with special needs and about prioritizing realistic treatment goals. Overall, I gained a lot of useful tips from this session that I can see myself implementing in the future as a dental provider.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.