• Creator
    Topic
    Stacey

Hi all! As most of you know, the HIV Research for Prevention Conference is just around the corner — Oct 28-30 in Cape Town.

I would love to hear who is attending the conference? Please let us know!

As I think we’ve mentioned to the group, we will be officially launching our Online GPP Training Course at R4P — at a reception Thursday evening, 30 Oct, 6:30pm in Hall 2 poster discussion room. Everyone at R4P should definitely plan on attending. It will be an informal session, and we’ll love to have you all in the room to talk about your current experiences in the course.

Please let us know if you’ll be there. Also please circulate any other important or interesting events you know of or are helping organize at the conference!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Agnes Nondo

Congratulations! I have followed through on line thank you.

Done! it was great. GPP online course launched too…

Rona thank you for sharing this. very interesting.

Jauhara

I agree…very inspiring.   And check out the press release from the Ipergay intermittent PrEP study…their DSMB review of unblinded data noted efficacy that warranted providing PrEP to the placebo arm.  Between PROUD and Ipergay, it has been an amazing two weeks for biomedical HIV prevention!

Anne

And as an add on to Rona’s post, you can all stay updated about HIV R4P at AVAC http://www.avac.org/event/hiv-r4p

Or on the blog WhatUpHIV -http://whatsuphiv.blogspot.com/

So far, it’s a great conference— I LOVED that the renowned Bridget Hare included GPP in her plenary presentation this morning, when speaking about working with key populations and ethical trial design. It gave me goose bumps!!

Rona

From the R4P guide, I have the following information on some posters that may be of interest:

Community Engagement, GPP and Advocacy

Poster Session 01 (Poster Themes 1-26), Wednesday Oct. 29  10:00-11:00 and 17:00-18:30, Level 0, Hall 2

Morar N. Seven Steps to Strengthen Community Engagement in HIV Preventions Trials in Durban. [P02.03]

Broder G, Maynard J, Karuna S, Anude C, Sobieszczyk M, Hammer S. Implementing Good Participatory Practice (GPP) in HVTN505 – the HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN) Experience. [P07.02]

Siskind R, Morar N, Campbell R, Schouten J. Implementing Community Involvement in National Institutes of Health (NIH) HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials Networks. [P07.05]

Research Participants Skills Development as Peer Educators in Their Communities – Morar S., Ramjee G. [P07.06]

Managing Communication and Facilitating the Exchange of Ideas in a Large, Multi-Site Clinical Trial: Experiences from the ASPIRE Study – Scheckter R., Schwartz K., Mayo A., Baeten J., Palanee T., Soto-Torres L., Torjesen K. [P02.01]

A Rectal Revolution Takes a Village: Developing an Educational Video about Rectal Microbicides – Collins, C. Friedland, B., Pickett, J. [P02.02]

How Community Education Tools Facilitated Understanding of the ASPIRE vaginal ring Study:  Kampala Experience – Kemigisha D., Ndawula P., Nanyonga S., Nakyanzi T., Etima T., Akello C., Kabwigu S., Nanziri S., Matovu F., Cokley C., White R., Nakabiito C. [P02.04]

Bridging the Gap: Uniting Participants and Staff for Improved ASPIRE Study Metrics at Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute in Hillbrow – Reddy K., Rees H., Palanee T. [P02.06]

Retention and Adherence in Trials:

Maximizing Participant Retention in a Phase2B HIV Prevention Trial in Kampala, Uganda: The MTN-003 (VOICE Study) – Muwawu R., Matovu F., Kapaata F., Kikonyogo F., Bukenya R., Musisi J., Kaggwa M., Saava M., Kabwigu S., Nakabiito C. [P23.09]

Recruitment for Retention in Biomedical HIV Prevention Studies: Strategies, Challenges, Lessons Learned from MTN-020 (ASPIRE) Study, at Kampala Site – Nanziri S., Gati B., Nakyanzi T., Matovu F., Etima J., Kabwigu S., Kemigisha D., Nanyonga S., Ndawula P., Nakabiito C. [P23.10]

The Research Registry: A Valuable Strategy for Longitudinal Success in HIV Prevention Research Recruitment – Weinman R., Baker J., Labbett R., Karas S., Riddle S., McGowan I. [P23.18]

Some oral presentations that may be of interest include:

Tuesday October 28th,  Presentation OA07.01:

Characteristics of Young Black Men who have sex with Men enrolled in HPTN 061

1:30 PM ‐3:00 PM Location: Level 1, Meeting Room 1.60

Oral Abstract Session 07

Presenters: C. Watson, J. Lucas, S. Fields and D. Wheeler on behalf of the HPTN Black Caucus

Wednesday, October 29th

Presentation OA19.04, The Utilization of Good Participatory Practice (GPP) during the Planning and Implemenation of a PrEP Study among Black MSM

1:30pm -5:00pm, Location:  Level 2, Meeting Room 2.40

Oral Abstract Session 19

Presenters: J. Lucas, G. King, P. Watkins, C. Watson, C. Hutchinson, C. Rogers, S. Wakefield, and S. Fields

Thursday, October 30th

Presentation OA28.03: Facing the Realities of HIV Universal Test and Treat: Early Lessons

Learnt from the Delivery of the HPTN 071/PopART Study Intervention

1:30 PM ‐3:00 PM Location: Level 1, Auditorium 2

Oral Abstract Session 28

Presenters: K. Shanaube, S. Griffith, M.Simwinga, C. Ngulube, E. Sakala, S. Simbeza, M. Mutonyi, S. Fidler, R. Hayes, H. Ayles

Thanks so much, Rona.

Anne

Rona, we are actively working on a GPP Library for the course –so your abstracts would be great additions!

Hi Team, will not attend the conference, I would have loved but my skills in in developing/ writing  abstracts are very poor.Since I have a team of you, hopefully I will be much better.

Rona, I am excited to learn about the abstracts you co-authored, kindly share with me those on my personal email: jnanyondo @muwrp.org at the write time.

Stacey hope to see you soon!!

Thanks, Jauhara

Rona, I look forward to seeing these abstracts.  If you don’t mind posting the actual abstract numbers/titles, our group will be able to access the posters when they are uploaded to the R4P website (or feel free to attach to a forum post).  Thanks!

Rona

Hi all,

I won’t be at the R4P conference but I did co-author an abstract that was accepted for a poster presentation. My colleagues, Russell Campbell and Neetha Morar will be presenting it. Its called Implementing Community Involvement in National Institutes of Health (NIH) HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials Networks and discusses a guidance document that we developed for community engagement. It is very complementary to GPP and the poster notes the value of GPP and other guidance tools for community engagement.  Our other network colleagues will be presenting in other sessions on the use of GPP in the NIH-funded HIV/AIDS research networks.

I hope those of you attending enjoy the conference.

Anne

If anyone is staying over the weekend, I can lead you up an exciting hike on table mountain on Saturday morning. But I am not quite sure if that tempts anyone but me, actually? 🙂

Confirm attending.

See you soon !

Evans

Hey Smart Stacey Hannah, Yep of course I will be attending the conference, so see you all there!

Welcome,

Leader

It will be great to see as many of you as possible at the R4P conference!

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Stacey

Yes, please, Anne!

Everyone, please chime in if you will be at R4P!

Anne

And, as an added note of  enthusiasm, I am looking very forward to finally connecting names with real faces!

In addition to interesting conference events, I am happy to circulate recommendations about restaurants and points of interest in Cape Town 🙂

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • The forum ‘GPP Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.