• Creator
    Topic

we have problem in the township of young people abusing drugs and this could lead to rapid increase of HIV within these population. drug users are pat of key population and the use of drug seems to be going out of control. is this a problem in your neighborhood? police have reported to several school to discourage young people to go to public libraries because that’s were drugs are sold to school children.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

In my community, it is on the rise and police are battling to control it because drug dealers have become intelligent with their packaging of the drugs. It’s not your typical white powder or newspaper rolled marijuana. Drugs now look like sweets and are named accordingly. I figure most youth are using drugs as a form of escape and there’s also the added strain of peer pressure.

Denver

Adolescents are resulting into drug abuse for many reason :

1. Lifestyle and peer pressure -> Alcohol and substance abuse -> Increase in STI’s

2. Poverty -> Selling Alcohol and Drugs to other adolescent -> Increase in adolescents Consuming alcohol and Drugs

We create awareness at the clinic regarding  Alcohol and Substance abuse

At the community we enforce no under age purchasing of alcohol and watch for teenage suppliers and report to local authority

Prudence

In my community, it exist, but it is not done opening. It’s mostly the case of peer pressure, youths feel the need to belong to a certain peer group and are willing to do anything to be associated with these group. If they fell into the wrong company them it becomes bad, as they have to take part in negative activities for them to be considered a member of the group.

One of the ways to reduce drug abuse among the youths will be to engage them on creative activities like dancing, singing or sports club. This way they are occupied, there by reducing the chances of engaging in these vices.

Clever

I feel that this is not done openly. However, there is a general feeling that it is on the increase due to high levels of unemployment. The problem is not lack of skills. Therefore the issue of capacity building is not the biggest problem. I feel that the problem is to do with un equal opportunities in terms of Finance  and employment. Whether these youths are capacity built in various skills, are they going to compete favorably in the economy? The economic landscape in most of African countries is not support to upcoming entrepreneurs. That is the more reason that these youths get frustrated and resort to drug abuse in order for them to forget the situation in which they find themselves in.

Sylvia

Yes the increased drug use in our communities  has impacted the way we engage the young people; in a sense that a lot of multidisciplinary approaches have been devised by different NGO’s. Many NGO’s are struggling to find out why the young people are using drugs? So if the  issue is  of unemployment; then they have  tried  to come up with  capacity building trainings to improve on their skills  and sustainable livelihood programs that can help to change their mindset towards  drug

Mark

In my community drug abuse does exist but it is not done openly or in public. The drug am refering to and frequently abused is Marijuana. Those found in possesion of these drugs get arrested and the community members report those in possesion or use these drugs. I have reported three such cases to the Drug enforcement commission, the government wing which deals with such cases.

The only effective way am familiar with, to reduce drug abuse is for the community to get involved and work together with  police and intensify education about the dangers of drug abuse.

Stacey

Hi all- fascinating! And concerning that this seems to be on the rise..

I just this morning saw a related article from NEPHAK on programs in Kenya for people who inject drugs. And the key message is that community involvement is needed! I’ve attached the newsletter — the article is on the bottom of page 2.

Nokulunga

Drug abuse is a very serious issue in our community, the sad part is that most of these drugs are made out of ARVs therefore the whole community is affected. Crime rate is very high that includes rape and stealing.

This drug use has a huge impact in engaging with young people because some of them are the victims and they don’t trust anyone even if you explain research and it purpose.

Anonymous
      Inactive

This is a really interesting thread.  How has the increased drug use impacted the ways you engage young people?

Henry

In reference to my community, drug abuse has been a serious driver of HIV. This is because most of rape cases in my community have been associated to drug abuse.This has paved way for drug abusers to acquire HIV through rape.And also to pass on HIV through rape. And  because of drug abuse people do many things outside their rightful mind,which also increases the chances of acquiring  and infecting others.

Josephine

There problem is not just about drug use but also sharing needles to inject cocaine and heroine that are commonly used in our communities.

Josephine

In East Africa, Uganda has the least prevalence of drug abuse at 16.7% (Illri, 2014). This is a great contributing factor worth looking out for in different communities. Thank you.

Nombuyiselo

We are experiencing the same problem im my community, there have been reports  of patients being mugged of their ARVs and some sell their antiretrovirals, from what we heard from the community is that they combine heroin and ARVs into a coctail and they get high,this coctail is called Nyaope or Whoonga. The biggest concerned here is the HIV virus drugs and resistence .

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The forum ‘GPP Online Training Forum_Aug 2015’ is closed to new topics and replies.