• Creator
    Topic
    Patchara

I wondered in the area that sex worker or IDU are illegal.  This example occurred after discussion or consultation from stakeholders already. However I think police may not agree with us. How can participants come to clinical site without arrested by police?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

I agree to leader’s submission, in our country when it comes to provision of HIV prevention services to MSM, little is heard from the civil society. Yet it is at this point that their submission is much required.

Jessica talked about the training of the law enforcement teams, in the effort to reduce the social harms I agree to submission. For example in Namibia, when the health workers are going out to provide HIV prevention services to the Key populations they move with police in this effort.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Leader has an excellent point. Engagement that focuses on stigma reduction or sensitization can look very similar to advocacy. Actions like trainings, for police, service providers and religious officials may help reduce social harms.

Anne

Great question Pat!

In other settings where they behaviors are criminalized, trial sites have engaged MSM advocates or NGOs to conduct trainings for the police about the benefits of the research. Community leaders can also help your team think about and plan for crisis management that might result from  social harms–like, is there budget to assist participants if they are arrested based on sexual orientation and need to be bailed out of jail, or if they need to find safe housing?

Clinical trials need to be complimented by strong advocacy work at all levels: community, local and national (global too) to address some of these critical issues and challenges.

For research, the researchers have to engage the government prior to protocol implementation, all government agencies that are law enforcers, makers so that they support and appreciate the need for research within these existing groups that are hard to reach in terms of HIV prevention and care. The issue of policy in relation to the HIV prevention regarding the key population is tricky. The policy makers should understand the drivers of the epidemic and work within its walls.

With this understanding, eventually the police will not interrupt the study activity by arresting the study participants. That is my thinking!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘GPP Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.