• Creator
    Topic
    Bernice

How can we make the CAB to function effectively?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      James

I quite agree with all, CAB members are community stake holders with different backgrounds, knowledge and understanding with varied cultural/ communal perception, so its imperative as bamidele outlined not marginalize but carry all along at their pace, training and re-training, dialogues, focus group discussion will bring about effective feedback and effective representation OF A CAB

Mark

Another point is what I call “the spoonful of sugar” principle. This is from a song in a Walt Disney movie “Mary Poppins” that references a saying “a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.” In other words, we are asking volunteers to contribute in real, meaningful, and sometimes difficult ways – and that means we are asking them to work. Volunteers often have their own feelings, ideas, and agendas about what is important in HIV. If we want folks to come back, they need to feel that CAB is fun and rewarding.

So, while we must have some level of structure and focus, I recommend making allowances for folks to do what they like, what is fun, etc. One meeting may feature a training that is technical, but the next might be on something interesting going on in the community that isn’t directly related to the research at hand (a new outreach program or service, for example.) While CAB members may man an outreach booth in order to raise awareness of available studies, what they may love is handing out condoms. Why not let them do both?

I also take care to try to choose educators who can connect and hold the interest of the audience, and have a varied agenda that always ends on a high note (something positive to take home.)

Bernice

Mark,
      Nice contribution. ‘ Volunteers are not employees’. We should always have that in mind while making decisions.
      Thanks everyone.
      Bernice

Joyce

Capacity building for CAB is vital. Apart from the exposure they may have through international travels it is important that their learning in various topics is scheduled and they are given time to present some topics and facilitate some sessions. knowlegde is power so if they have adequate infomation about research and whatever study thay may be involved in then they will be able to present both the community and research fraternity at whichever level.

Joyce.

Marie

I am grateful for this training because it broadens my horizon. Bernice and Sherri you raise another good point and that is about inclusion of adolescents in our CABS because transition is part of training, hence transition from adolescents to adults is important for the strengthening of our CABS.

Faith

Always keep them involved in the activities and always update them on the ongoing activities

Bernice

Marie,
      Thanks for your contribution especially the fact that it is important to consider the different literacy levels of CAB members so that training can be effective.
      I have this challenge in my group too.
      Bernice

Bernice

Anthonia,
      I agree with the regular meetings, because communication is essential for a team work.
      Bernice

Bernice

Sherri,
      Having more young people involved in your CAB is a good idea.But experience( or training) would be an added advantage.
      Bernice

Mark

Great discussion. I’ll add that I agree that one size does not fit all.

I always remind folks that volunteers are not employees. When I’ve shared my success with CAB leadership, I make the audience repeat that back out loud “volunteers are not employees.” While some management techniques that work well with employees are effective, one must remind oneself of where the power lies respectively.

Also, in my setting, too much structure can be just as much of a problem as not enough structure.

Great topic.

Marie

CAB members are lay persons from our different communities. They are not scientists so it is crucial that we make the feel that their contribution to the research is equally valuable and appreciated. Yes training is essential and must be done but also let them identify what their training needs are in alignment with the research. I feel that it is also important to consider the different literacy levels and work at ways of bridging such gaps so that training can be effective and enjoyable to all participants.

Anthonia

I suggest regular meeting and quarterly refresher training for CAB members to put them on track always

Sherri

Regarding the CAB:  We have been trying to get more young people involved in our CAB (and our research) for a while.  The biggest challenge we face is that currently our CAB does a very good job representing the research participants that we enroll into our study, but we are always looking to bring more young people into our studies and in it would be a huge help to have some younger folks on out CAB to help give us ideas.  We’ve slowly started reaching out to youth organizations for ideas.

Bernice

Lucky,
      Thanks for your response.The world is indeed dynamic. That’s why training and re-training of of CAB/ CAG members should be taken seriously.
      Bernice

Bernice

Mahesh,
      I agree with you, especially in the aspect of CAB advice based on transparency.
      Bernice

Lucky

Dear Colleagues

There is no perfect recipe in having a perfect CAG, they will always be issues that can either affect CAG neg or pos because the world we living is dynamic and is to how we handle new situations as they happen and largely this is controlled by SOP that regulates communication among CAG members. you must remember we have who have joined for altruism and some for personal selfish reason so we at potential to encounter challenges. one of the good recipe for proper function is a good record of meeting attendance because members are not left behind.

Thanks
      Lucky

Hello everyone

Nice topic for discussion. I agree with Jorge that CAB should have its own rules and regulations, and their advice should be taken seriously.  CAB members should be trained, as well as their knowledge should be updated. In my opinion rules and regulations for CAB to advice based on transparency, and  ethics increase its functionality.

Mahesh

Bernice

Bamidele and Jorge,

Thanks so much for your contributions. i learnt a lot especially avoiding marginalization in composition and taking CAB’s advise seriously..

Continuous training of CAB members is also vital.
      Bernice

Jorge

I agree with Bamidele.  Having CAB by-laws (rules and regulations), that are constructed by the CAB itself.  Take the CAB’s advise seriously, so they know their voice is heard and that their opinions are reflected in the research being conducted.  Ongoing training and being updated on the status of studies is vital, in my opinion.

Bamidele

One of the ways is to avoid marginalization in the composition of CAB in the study community. Another one is having a mechanism of operation that every CAB member will understand and comply with. Training of CAB members as a dynamic thing is also important.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • The forum ‘GPP Online Course Forum_March 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.